Da Desk

Hallo! Unfortunately, I don't have any "before" pictures of this desk. It was originally stained brown, very dinged up. It's still dinged up, but now it's yellow!  I got the cheap paint from Walmart, and I regret it a little, because it has never gotten a hard finish. Everything still sticks to it (after weeks in a dry climate). It doesn't come off on anything, but the pencil cup, for example, sticks to the surface. I don't close the drawers exactly flush, because then they'll stick when I try to open them. I'll remember the paint department at Walmart fondly however--the saleslady called it "Chick Yellow". It was "Chic Yellow" but that also works. Chicks are this shade of yellow too. ;)

The desk originally had a sheet of glass on top. I kept it off after the repaint job, because it gave a bluish tinge to the paint underneath, and it sort of spoiled the new look the desk had going for it now.

New hardware, from Hickory Hardware. I picked them up at Menards and I'm over the moon. Not expensive, very cute! I personally think it made the whole repaint job bearable, since I'm not the best at it. The original hardware got a little man-handled by my brother in the struggle to get them off without ripping apart the somewhat delicate drawers. (For reference, the writing on the bottom of the middle drawer says it was refinished in 1978). I tried removing the patina, but I ended up removing the what-turned-out-to-be-fake brass as well. My rubbish bin smelled like lemon for a few days.


I lined the drawers with wrapping paper I got from, again, Walmart. I liked it for a lot of reasons: cheap, cheerful, and an abstract pattern so you didn't notice if things weren't exactly square. I just put it in the bottom, cut it out, then secured it with a roll of single-sided tape in each of the four corners.


Total Cost: about $25 for the can of paint (I got wayyyy too much) and the brushes in two sizes. I'm not counting can of Krylon used in the ill-fated spray paint attempt. (It seemed so easy on Pinterest...)
Hardware for 7 knobs was about $20 dollars.
The desk was free, a gift from a lovely couple who hosted a Bible study last winter. I'm forever grateful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoskins and Spenalzo Are Dead

What's In My Rehearsal Bag?