Chorus Girl

I'll be taking a little break from home projects for the next few weeks. I'm in show business, baby! Last week I was browsing the Monroe Theatre Guild webpage when I saw a bit for their new show "White Christmas" and a notice saying they needed female ensemble members. Sign me up! I ended up rehearsing with the cast for three hours that night.

This is the 2004 Broadway musical we're doing, that is BASED on the 1954 movie.

                   

I grew up watching the movie, and I LOVE it. Just watching the Vista-Vision credit on the screen as it opens makes me get all nostalgic and happy and AAAAAAAA. The 2004 musical has more crude humor, which is disappointing, and I don't think it's necessary, but I'm not really surprised. There are a few other major changes: They added in more Irving Berlin numbers (I Love A Piano, I'm Happy, How Deep Is the Ocean, Happy Holidays, Let Yourself Go, etc) and cut some others (Choreography, Abraham). Rita and Rhoda are bigger characters, and Martha the housekeeper has a couple numbers (she used to be in show business). Most of the numbers changes made it more suitable for a Broadway show, by incorporating more "brassy" chorus and tap.

(As a side note, Phil is kind of a sleazeball in this one and I give his and Judy's marriage 3 years).

The cast in this production are so talented, and I am so excited to be working with them! Now before you roll your eyes and go "literally everyone ever says that" let me say this. Our Phil is the danciest-dancer I've ever seen as a grown man. Our Bob is charming and has a beautiful voice that projects! Our Betty almost made me cry when she sang "Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me" and Betty and Bob together for How Deep Is the Ocean and *tears* Judy is perky and energetic! Martha is loud! The numbers have extremely hard jazz chords and everybody plows right through them! Our choreographer can me make me, Miss Klutz from Klutzville, actually look okay!

It is definitely rough jumping in after missing the first month of rehearsals, but I'm enjoying it. Besides singing and dancing in the chorus, I have one line as a disgruntled Columbia Inn guest, and I'm pulling extra duty in wardrobe. I just love working with the costumes and doing little fixes to make them look perfect (from a distance, anyway).

Our showdates are December 2-11, and I can hardly wait, but at the same time I have so much catching up to do! I have two extra hours of choreography rehearsal on Sunday, which means a total of five hours of rehearsal that day. Last Saturday we worked choreography for four hours! For a non-dancer, that's an awful lot haha.


Click on the picture above for a link to the website. I'm terribly excited...my boyfriend Ben has a lot more experience with local theater than I do, but I can sing and dance and he can't. So excited to show him my stuff! And I shall probably be posting picture of my razzmatazz self on here as well. Yay!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoskins and Spenalzo Are Dead

What's In My Rehearsal Bag?