Costume Department

Busy, busy busy! I haven't done housework in two weeks but you can't really tell...I'm never there to make a mess!

The last few nights I've been staying up later to knit, but my main projects are costumes for "White Christmas". So far I took out hems in a sports jacket and a pair of fatigue pants (Phil has long arms and legs) and I've three more dresses at home that need various little things done.



On one black and white dress (it's reallll vintage, and I'm pretty sure it's homemade) I had to rehem it, and fix a sleeve that was basically hanging off, and a rip in the front. The problem is the fabric has basically disintegrated at the rip and the sleeve. The rip isn't very neatly darned, because if I tried to close the stitches it puckered. :( Fortunately it's just a stage costume. I don't think anyone could have seen the rip to begin with and I just wanted to stop it from spreading.

I'm still working on the sleeve...I want it to be secure and neat and not puckery and since there is a chunk of fabric that has shredded, it's a little difficult. But here's my hem! (If you can see, probably not.)


Yes the lighting is terrible. I actually plan on asking my co-actors to pose in my handiwork, and the lighting in the rehearsal hall is considerably better :) 

My biggest headache is this blue acetate number. Legit 1950s, but...acetate. 


Meaning that the plastic fabric that the dress is made of is now brittle.

These are the pin marks from fitting it. The fabric is shredding! I'm thinking the only way I can actually take it in and have the stitches not rip right out is to apply fusible interfacing to the inside and stitch that. Even then I'm not sure. Either if the interfacing will work, or if it's even possible to iron interfacing onto a plastic dress :/.

Well, we'll never know until we try! I'm taking up the hem on my red dress for the finale. And I think my dress for "The Best Things Happen When You're Dancing" will have to be nipped in a little at the waist too. We'll have pictures! I must admit, I'm quite excited to see other people wearing my handiwork! :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoskins and Spenalzo Are Dead

What's In My Rehearsal Bag?