Throwback Post: Spice Rack

Ever since we moved into our lovely apartment, I knew the empty space over the kitchen sink needed SOMETHING. In a house, it would be a window. In our cave of a kitchen with my spice bottles stored on the counter, it was a spice rack! Cue the "Mission Impossible" theme as I searched online for a suitable candidate. And searched. And searched. I quickly learned that for someone who wanted only a shelf to house her own spice collection (plus knicknacks) and not a pre-arranged counter set, this was going to be difficult. And expensive. The type of rack I wanted--the cheapest one I thought--was a simple wooden rectangle with shelves. Nope. Every shelf option that was reasonably priced was for counter storage, sized with accompanying bottles I didn't like, with guard rails (so I couldn't show off my knicknacks) or too small for the space. If I found one that kinda-sorta was like what I wanted, it was on Etsy for over $60! NO THANKS.

I went to Menards and bought two of their cheapest pre-finished boards (particle board with laminate over three sides). I measured about how wide I wanted the shelves, and Dad taught me how to use the circular saw so I could cut them all exactly the same. Mom and I covered the undersides we contact paper. Then Dad taught me how to use the staple gun! After a few misfires, I got them all in the ends of the shelves without the tips poking through.


My Dad is the best, he also cut me a piece of plywood for the back, which we also covered in contact paper and stapled on. No painting, yay! (If you notice the bottle of cinnamon on the workbench, it's how we spaced the shelves--we made them all equidistant except one on the bottom, which is taller for bigger bottles.) Then all I had to do was get it home...and hang it.


My poor husband. I was so picky with how he should hang it and he did a beautiful job. I've learned to be less picky about things I don't want to do myself! Next up, I think I'll buy glass spice jars and label them so that it looks more cohesive and pretty! This is my first woodworking project, (such as it was) and I'm pretty proud of myself. :)


Total cost: about $10 for the wood and contact paper. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hoskins and Spenalzo Are Dead

What's In My Rehearsal Bag?